Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rose Polenzani & Session Americana

Last night I went to the Lizard Lounge in Cambridge to check out Rose Polenzani CD release party. I've heard her once before at the same venue and had loved her music. And to top it off, Session Americana was the guest band for the evening. On a side note, they will also be the house band for a month at Lizard.
Rose's music is something I would not listen to normally. But there is something about her voice and her lyrics that draw me to her music. And last night was no different.
Session Americana also is music I do not listen to regularly, but these guys have so much fun playing live, it's hard not to get sucked in. Highlight of the night, cover of "So Lonely" and then the last 2 songs dedicated to the bassist Kimon Kirk about to leave. The thing about these guys is they play around a roundtable and all sing into one microphone. And keep exchanging instruments. At one point, they were trying to teach Kimon to play the mandarin.
And may I say I absolutely love the setting at Lizard and the beer. Good house beers on tap unavailable elsewhere mostly and perfect setting for a good night of music and camaraderie.
The only disappointing thing is when its a relatively small setting and the music is not all that loud, some people talk a little too loudly and the thing is their conversation decibel rises with the volume of the music. But hey, its not my house and there is only so much dirty-staring capacity in me. So you learn to try and ignore such people.

0 comments: